Cannons can be attached to a ship in port and will assist in naval battles by eliminating crew members from the opposing ship, slowing ships down by tearing apart their sails and/or even sinking them by destroying their hulls. Which effect they will have depends on the type of ammunition used. Cannons will only fire during the first phase of a naval encounter, which is spread over 3 rounds. Cannons can be attached by clicking the status link of a ship in the Ships list, and then clicking the [attach cannons] link. Once a cannon is attached it can only be removed with a block and tackle, and the ship cannot be sold until the cannons are removed. If a ship is sunk the cannons will detach from it where it sinks, they can then be salvaged by a fisherman.
Cannons are used in phase 1 of ship to ship combat.
Cannons have 2 attributes - Rate of Fire and Damage.
- Rate of Fire determines how many rounds the cannon will fire in.
- A cannon with ROF 1 fires in the second round.
- A cannon with ROF 2 fires in the first and third rounds.
- A cannon with ROF 3 fires in each round.
- Damage determines how much damage (to crew, hull or speed) a successful hit will deal. Cannons with fractional damage stats do either slightly more or slightly less damage, but do the stated damage on average.
The ammunition used in cannons determines the type of damage it will deal.
- Cannonballs - Hull damage: Only useful if you want to take someone off the sea entirely. ~63% accuracy
- Grape Shot - Kills crew members: Lets you win a battle but keeps your opponent's ship seaworthy. Useful for Pirates who want their enemies to live, so they can pillage them again. ~45% accuracy
- Chain Shot - Tears at sails to decrease speed. Good for merchants wanting to escape nasty pirates. Also good for pirates and bounty hunters to use so their victims can't escape. ~16% accuracy
The type of ammunition that is loaded into a cannon is initially picked at random from the available crates on board. Each crate contains 12 shots, and once opened the leftovers from the crate will remain with the ship, primed to fire.
When a player with the whetting stone gadget active fights there is a 10% chance of a shot being a critical hit, which will deal double damage.