OUTDATED - see here
Items are the "Things" that are ubiquitously "Mined," as hinted by the title "Mine Things." They are found according to the type of mine currently being worked - Kazoos will be found in the music mine and so on. Items can be either sold for cash, or sometimes used in a variety of ways.
Item types and uses include:
- Things you combine to create melds, increase battery life and gain professional power.
- Equipment to increase your rate of mining
- Vehicles for land-based travel & combat
- Ships for seafaring merchants & pirates
- Gadgets for powering up or bestowing helpful abilities
- Weapons for increasing your combat prowess on land and sea
- Cannons for (costly) naval superiority
- Bait for catching combinable Fish
- Explosives for speedy excavation
- Avatar parts for creating a portrait - enough of them bestow a bonus of 25 inventory slots.
Unless you're just mining gold, you're always mining items. Trade them wisely to make a profit, or use them to plunder hapless victims. Preferably both.